Friday, December 3, 2010 10:22 PM
Recently, Cydia was updated to support Apple’s updated API’s on iOS 4.2. This new Cydia build has got many new updates , and there is no option available yet within Cydia to update to the new Cydia Build.
The new Cydia is version 1.0.3366-1. (The last version was 1.0.3222-73.)
There are 2 methods for manually installing the new Cydia build.
Note : Make sure you backup before you continue with the tutorial.
Install New Cydia Update On iOS 4.2 [How To] :
Method 1 :
* Safari Download Manager
* iFile (available in Cydia)
1) Download the new Cydia package from here on your iPhone using Safari Download Manager.
2) Once the file has downloaded, navigate to var/mobile/Media/Downloads in iFile.
3) Tap cydia_1.0.3366-…phoneos-arm.deb, then “Installer” (The .deb should install rather quickly).
4) When the installation is done, close iFile and respring your iPhone.
Now, you have successfully enable the new Cydia build on your iDevice.
Method 2 :
* iPhone Explorer
* Updated Cydia .deb file
1) Open up your iPhone’s filesystem on your desktop.
2) Navigate to the folder /private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall (If you don’t have Cydia or AutoInstall folders, you need to create them. They are case sensitive).
3) Drag and drop the cydia_1.0.3366-1_iphoneos-arm.deb file that you downloaded into the AutoInstall folder.
4) Respring your iPhone.
You should now have the new Cydia build on your iDevice.
You can check to see if you are running the new version of Cydia by scrolling to the bottom of the app’s home page and looking at the Cydia version number right above your iPhone’s UDID. If it still shows the old version number, you didn’t install the Cydia update.
Known Issues :
Some users have reported that this new Cydia build is not working on 3.x firmware. It appears that saurik hasn’t ported the new Cydia to work with 3.x firmware yet. However, some people have said that it works just fine, so perhaps people haven’t been installing it correctly.
If you tried installing the update on 3.x FW and it did not work :
1) Download the old Cydia .deb file. (1.0.3222-73).
2) Read the steps above to put this file back in the AutoInstall folder to install (Make sure to delete the new .deb file if you need to reverse back).
If you have any problems in installing or using the new Cydia build, let us know in the comments.