Friday, November 19, 2010 6:22 AM
Apple has just released iOS 4.2.1 GM and fortunately it is jailbreakable with the latest Redsnow 0.9.6 b2 which is based on Geohot’s limera1n exploit. Since, Apple iPad is not yet supported by Redsn0w but you can use PwnageTool to jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on iPad.
Note: If you rely on unlock, don’t update you device to iOS 4.2.1 otherwise you’ll lose carrier unlock and there is no unlock available for iOS 4.1 and above yet.
Redsnow 0.9.6 jailbreak supports :
* iPhone 4
* iPhone 3GS
* iPhone 3G
* iPod Touch 4G
* iPod Touch 3G
* iPod Touch 2G
Cydia doesn't work till now due to some issues on the private APIs used by Cydia which has been changed by Apple. The devs have fixed these issues in Cydia and they are waiting for the iOS 4.2.1 public release. For now you can install jailbreak apps via SSH - until we got the new Cydia version - as you have full root access on your iDevice.
Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 GM Using Redsnow 0.9.6 b2 [How To] :
1) Download iOS 4.2.1 GM
2) Download iOS 4.1 final version.
3) Download Redsnow 0.9.6 b2.
4) Using the iTunes 10.1, update/restore your phone to iOS 4.2.1 GM downloaded in step 1).
5) Start the Redsn0w jailbreak tool and open the iOS 4.1 in it to star the jailbreak process (make sure that you select the iOS 4.1 IPSW file in this step).
6) Press the Next button after Redsn0w identifies the IPSW file successfully.
7) Now check the Install Cydia Option. You can also select any other option if available.
8) Switch off your phone and connect it to your computer before you proceed.
9) Follow the Redsnow on-screen instructions to put your iDevice into DFU mode.
10) Wait a few seconds for Redsn0w to finish its processes. After you receive the DONE message, close Redsn0w.
Now, you have successfully jailbroken your iDevice on iOS 4.2.1 GM.
Downloads Links :
Redsn0w 0.9.6 b2 (Windows)
Redsn0w 0.9.6 b2 (Mac)